How to root HTC Desire Z / G2 / Vision
This is the english tutorial of how to root HTC Desire Z.
1. You will need ADB on the computer to root the HTC Desire Z and to flash the necessary files for radio S-OFF. Download - Android SDK.
2. Download: busybox, ClockworkMod Recovery, Engineering HBoot, gfree 1.0, psneuter, root_psn, Superuser package.
3. Unzip the zip files and copy the contents to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder).
4. Connect the HTC Desire Z to the computer via USB.
5. Make sure USB debugging is enabled on the HTC Desire Z by checking Settings » Applications » Development » USB debugging.
6. On the computer, open terminal and run the following commands:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb push gfree /data/local/tmp/
adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local/tmp/
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp/
adb push recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-vision.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
adb push root_psn /data/local/tmp/
adb push su /sdcard/
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/*
NOTE: You will drop out of the shell after this command. Restart the shell using:
./gfree -f -b hboot-eng.img -y recovery.img
7. As it is very important that the hboot was installed correctly gfree calculates md5sums of the partition. It will calculate the following 3 checksums
md5sum #1 - checksum of partition 18 before the installation
md5sum #2 - checksum of the hboot image that should be installed
md5sum #3 - checksum of partition 18 after the installation
8. The messages that you what to see are either/or
md5sum #1 == md5sum #2 – the hboot image is already installed -> skipping installation
md5sum #3 == md5sum #2 – the hboot image was successfully installed -> OK!
9. If you get a different error message then DO NOT REBOOT and try google.
10. If gfree worked correctly continue with:
11. The HTC Desire Z is now rooted with S-OFF, the Engineering HBoot & the ClockworkMod Recovery.